Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Sun Mar 24, 2002  11:26 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Musical Theater

In a message dated 3/24/2002 5:19:45 PM Central Standard Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

> I have also found that it is typical for the Broadway singer to carry
> a heavy chest quality much higher than is healthy even if it is
> possible to do so. It does give the voice a speaking/yelling quality
> which is desired for some characterization of roles and appears to
> be a most desired quality in female voices in the past 35 years
> (perhaps as a sign that the musical theatre art is not really an art
> at all but appears to be more "everyday"). Some system or technique
> must be taught that can create the quality that is desired without
> actually carrying the chest voice that high and, in that way, protect
> the music theatre voice. Perhaps your approach is an answer.

Yes, many females in particular try to take a heavy chest voice too high and
then around c#5 flip into nothingness. A4 is the highest I allow it, the
singer can then make a skillful transition into a mix at point with the
correct training. This approach serves a whole range of styles, including
but not limited to musical theater.

Randy Buescher

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18240 Re: Musical TheaterEdgewoodVoiceStudio   Mon  3/25/2002

emusic.com