Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Sun Mar 24, 2002  1:15 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Musical Theater

In a message dated 3/24/2002 1:59:10 AM Central Standard Time,
trevorjamesallen@y... writes:

> Let me recommend Baldwin- Wallace College. Our
> musical theater program, lead by Victoria Bussert, is
> the third highest rated in the country. If you'd like
> to know a little more about the program visit:
> www.bw.edu. We also have a good vocal performance
> program, though it's not as highly regarded as the
> muscial theater program. If you have any specific
> questions, feel free to contact me privately.
>
> Best of luck,
> Trevor

A lot of musical theater programs have huge problems when it comes to the
voice faculty, in that the same people who teach in the voice major program
(and live in the opera ghetto musically and pedagogically) are teaching the
musical theater people. This leads to tremendous confusion on behalf of the
students not knowing how to sing musical theater.

A tremendous example of this in Illinois is Miliken University. I had a
student who went there, connected out of chest wonderfully, and the teacher
there proceeded to eradicate her chest voice and build the voice on a top
down production. The silliest thing this teacher said was, "That's how
Streisand learned to sing." This is of course a huge falsehood.

I'd be very cautious about the teacher you get in such programs, make sure
they are familiar with an approach like speech level singing, or something
else that stresses a connection out of chest and pure sounding, unaffected
vowels.

Randy Buescher

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18229 Re: Musical TheaterLloyd W. Hanson   Sun  3/24/2002

emusic.com