Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Fri Mar 22, 2002  6:56 pm
Subject:  Re: Lea Ann's sore throat

>From: "Lea Ann Martin" Off topic question...do you think it's possible to
>push a chest voice up to an a flat below high C? That has become the
>question of the week for me. It is probably the answer to why my throat is
>hurting.
>
>I hope I didn't offend you with my earlier posts. That was not my intention
>at all. :)
>
>Lea Ann

Lea Ann:

I'm no vocal pedagogue and my BA degree is in theater, but the one thing I'm
sure about with singing is: If it hurts, you're NOT doing it right!

The B-flat below high C is just about as high as I can reach most of the
time. (I can make the C under ideal conditions.) My last teacher figured
out that 1) I was taking my head voice down too low (B-flat below middle C
instead of the D or E above); and 2) when I *was* in chest voice, I was
pushing too hard.

So my answer to your question (*not* off-topic, in my opinion) is: Yes,
maybe you CAN take your chest voice up to the B-flat below high C. Should
you? I really don't think so.

I don't have kids either, but I'm the oldest of nine and an aunt to five
(going on seven!). Babies are a LOT of trouble (in addition to being cute
and cuddly and precious). I agree with the poster who said that it may have
been just ill-luck for you to have started with your teacher right before
her current crises.

Elizabeth Finkler
San Jose, California
mightymezzo@h...
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo
"This would be a better world for children if the parents had to eat the
spinach." --Groucho Marx