Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Fri Mar 22, 2002  4:08 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Argh another problem

In a message dated 03/22/2002 9:47:42 AM Central Standard Time,
LeaAnn@k... writes:

<< You weren't here, you don't know...and if my posts bother you feel free
to use "block sender" so you won't have to read them. >>

That's right, I'm not there except vicariously through the information you're
sharing with us. As far as filtering, if I did choose to do that, it doesn't
seem to work with this list (at least on AOL) because it comes through
vocalist-temporary rather than from individuals -- and also, I tend to read
things using the right arrow to go from one to the other rather than picking
and choosing what I'm going to read. In any event, I'm sorry if you felt I
was rude. I felt I was being honest -- I think you're overreacting. You're
an adult, make a decision.

<< When students PAY you for a service and you stop rendering that service
and give little or no explanation to them>>

An explanation was given - she was confined to bed rest for the remainder of
her pregnancy and that's all you need to know. Do you feel that she should
refund your money for the remainder of the lessons for which you've paid? If
so, ask for it. Put it in writing. To her, not to the Internet. We can
only make suggestions which, if you agree with them, are wonderful sources of
information and if you don't, are seen as rude and uninformed. Funny how
that works.

<<, and stop returning their phone calls, and don't have anyone else return
their phone calls in your stead...than that's unprofessional. When you are
chatting to someone on the phone and your kids are screaming in the
background and you say "hey I will call you right back and you NEVER do" that
is also unprofessional. >>

Yes, and I've agreed with that but I think that you have to stop taking it so
personally.

<<When your student calls you back the next day to return the call you did
not...and that student tells you they have a constant sore throat after
singing... >>

I just find it curious that you've never mentioned the sore throat thing
until after the phone calls weren't returned. Has this been going on since
lesson 1 or only since your lessons have stopped? We can't tell if you're
taking chest up too high because we can't hear you. Some people can take
chest up very high, and some can't. Also depends on how you're defining
chest. Are you talking a chest-dominant mix or raw chest?

Have you spoken to her other students? Do they know what's going on?
Wouldn't you feel badly if you found out that something horrible has happened
and you've been concerned about whether or not she's returned calls in a
timely manner? It would seem awfully trivial in that case, wouldn't it?

When you were asked if you had sent her a card or some expression of concern,
you said that you don't have her address - is she not in the phone book?
You've said it's not a very big city. Can you send her a note to wherever it
was you were studying and ask for it to be forwarded? She's the one who's
not well.

I'm sorry if you think I'm being rude, but I think you are taking all of this
too personally.

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com