Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Laura Ruiz" <laura@d...>
Date:  Thu Mar 21, 2002  11:00 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Re: Argh another problem

Hi Lea Ann,
I understand your frustration, but having just gone through bedrest due
to pregnancy-related difficulties, I also understand (possibly) where
your teacher is at right now.

When I went on bedrest this last July, it was very difficult. Mainly
because I felt fine, and I had an 18 month old at the same time who I
wasn't even allowed to pick up (try not picking up an 18 month old even
to change diapers - it ain't easy). Basically, it's not that fun, you
worry constantly about whether the small amount of time you are up and
about might be putting your baby in danger, etc., etc. I can guarantee
that the very *last* thing on her mind right now is her students.

That said, I also understand that your frustrated having just started
with her and feeling like you're being left out in the cold without any
direction. I agree that you shouldn't do the upcoming recital. In all
honesty, I doubt the recital will happen. If this is your teachers
first child she may not realize the degree to which her life will change
once this little baby comes into the world. She may very well end up
cancelling the recital (or she might not. I'm not her, I can't say for
sure) because she finds that her time (and energy) immediately following
labor & delivery isn't what she expected.

Give her a chance. But if, after all is said and done, she still
insists that you do the recital without having had any further lessons
and if you still don't feel comfortable with it, *then* you can make a
decision about whether or not this teacher-student relationship will
work. It sounds to me like you were unfortunate enough to come into her
studio during a really rough time for her.

Laura

emusic.com