Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Thu Mar 21, 2002  9:31 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Soprano as Evita

>Don't listen to Madonna - she had a lot of the music transposed DOWN in the
>film version because of her very limited vocal range.
>
>The original Evita was the quintessential belt mezzo, Patti Lupone. That
>said, I do not suggest that you attempt to become a full-blown belter!
>Other less "belty" singers have done the role quite successfully, and they
>cast you with YOUR voice, which I suspect is what, in musical theatre
>parlance, would be considered "full legit" (i.e., operettic if not
>operatic).
<snip>
I think if you can achieve this kind of
>"voix mixte" you'll have just the right sound for Evita.
>
>Karen Mercedes

Just to add another element: The last time I saw "Evita" (Townsend Opera
Players, Modesto, CA, November 2000), the title role was played by a soprano
whom I know from "Man of La Mancha" (she was Aldonza). She has a
French-made CD out listing her as a "soprano colorature", and has also
played Johanna in "Sweeney Todd." Go figure.

INCIDENTALLY, that production had no *%^# mikes, and I could understand a
lot more of the words than I could the first two times I saw "Evita."

Elizabeth Finkler
San Jose, California
mightymezzo@h...
THE S.O.B. MANIFESTO:
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo/SOBManifesto.htm
"This would be a better world for children if the parents had to eat the
spinach." --Groucho Marx