Vocalist.org archive

From:  Cherice Graham <ccgraham7@y...>
Date:  Thu Mar 21, 2002  9:30 pm
Subject:  Help with Italian translation

Dear list,

I am currently working on the aria "Come raggio di
sol" from the Twenty-four Italian Songs and Arias. Of
course it has English lyrics printed with the music,
but I wanted more of a literal translation. I was
able to get the meanings for many of the words using
several online translators/dictionaries (I do not yet
own an Italian/English dictionary). However, there
were some words that I could not find; below are the
Italian lyrics with the words that I still need to
have translated in all-caps:

"Come raggio di sol mite e sereno, come raggio di sol
mite e sereno SOVRA placidi FLUTTI si riposa, mentre
del mare, mentre del mare nel profondo seno sta la
tempesta ascosa: cosi riso TALOR GAIO e PACATTO di
contento, di gioia un labbro INFIORA, mentre nel suo
segreto il COR PIAGATO S'angoscia si MARTORA."

I have assumed that "s'angoscia" is a contraction and
have discovered "angoscia" to mean "anguish."
However, what would the first word be were
"s'angoscia" written as two words instead of as a
contraction?

Thanks to any and all who answer.

C. Graham
Beginning voice student in the Southwest USA

http://movies.yahoo.com/

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18170 Re: Help with Italian translationvalevanni   Thu  3/21/2002

emusic.com