Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Wed Mar 20, 2002  9:59 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] FALSETTO IN CHEST VOICE MODE VERSUS FALSETTO IN HEAD VOICE MODE

Dear Mike and Vocalisters:

I left the balance of your message below to help make sense of my reply.

I am able to sing falsetto with my larynx in a normal position or
even in a lowered position and then introduce medial compression and
move gradually into my head voice. However, as a lyric tenor, I
never sang in falsetto until about 20 years ago when I taught myself
how to do it because I wanted to be able to demonstrate falsetto to
my students.

For what it is worth.

Lloyd W. Hanson

>In a message dated 3/15/2002 12:00:12 PM Eastern Standard Time, Greypins
>writes:
>
>> ooooooooh @#$%!!!, have i got some thinking to do.
>>
> ok, i thought about it. the only way i could get medial compression
>when in falsetto, was with a high larynx. i'm pretty sure that this is what
>all those metal singers are doing in their high range (robert plant, ian
>gillam, steven tyler, etc.). when the larynx is stable or, slightly
>lowered, this 'thing' doesn't happen so, i don't think it can be considered
>'head voice' in any way.
>
> btw, this would explain why mark baxter has always had trouble getting
>tyler to sing without raising his larynx for those high notes - that's how
>tyler gets them.
>
>mike

HM/A=847665/R=0/*http://ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vbW9uc3RlcjcuZGF0=1016219436%3eM=215\
002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705034266:HM/A=847665/R=1

emusic.com