Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Alain Zurcher" <AZurcher@i...>
Date:  Sun Mar 17, 2002  8:55 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] fry, modal and falsetto

Lloyd wrote :

<<But the head voice displays a different vocal function than is
displayed in chest voice. Falsetto displays yet another vocal
function. These vocal functions have been well documented for many
years. (...)
Vocal fold function in head voice is most definitely unique and different
from vocal fold function in chest voice. Falsetto is yet again
different.>>

I thought the latest consensus was about there being only mode 1 to 4
(Strohbass, chest, falsetto and whistle), while other "registers" were
resonance registers, with no significant change in the laryngeal source.
But since I left Vocalist maybe 2 years ago, things may have evolved! I
would be glad if they did, since I always felt a continuum from "chest" to
"falsetto", thru "head" or not. But at the time, you defended, and
apparently still defends, the opinion that falsetto was a completely
different thing and couldn't be crescendoed to nor from. Even if we leave
that out for the moment, why indeed couldn't there be a continuum between
chest and head, with a progressive move of the tension from the vocalis
muscle to the ligament? (In my view, falsetto would just be a further step
to the mucosal covering.)

I don't know if scientists ever studied a proper mix and a seamless passage
between chest and head or falsetto. I have been a guinea pig for such a
scientist some time ago, and she was surprised at my seamless move from
chest into falsetto and back, on something like a two-octave scale. She then
asked me to record it again with an audible break, probably because that was
what she needed for her study. She has published her thesis since then, and
I don't know which recording she used. Since I did not understand a single
word in her thesis subject and did not understand the interest of it either,
I did not bother to try and read the result of her study.