Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lea Ann Martin" <LeaAnn@k...>
Date:  Sun Mar 17, 2002  1:51 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Argh another problem

Well to make matter worse I think I am having a BIG technique problem. Lately
when I sing anything above a C (above middle C) my throat hurts...and if I sing
high enough....like up to an A flat (below High C) my throat continues to hurt
all day. I think I may be pushing my chest voice up as high as I can. I
remember asking my teacher about my head tone when I first started working with
her...I mentioned to her that it had taken me ages to "get it" and that I had to
continue to work on the concept all the time...she said she didn't think there
was anything wrong with my head tone...and while I was warming up I asked her
again about it. and she said if I had not been in head tone I could not have
sung up to an A flat....and strangley enough she said I covered my register
changes very well. My contention is that I was and am using chest tone and she
didn't notice any register changes because there weren't any. I tried to call
her and let her know I was having some big problems with my throat hurting but I
can't seem to get in touch with her and she isn't returning phone calls....I
left a message and I said I was going to stop practicing until I could resolve
this tehnique problem because something I am doing is VERY wrong. That A flat
in Allerseelen is NOT helping matters. I have never felt that I was very
grounded in head tone...I have certainly never felt any ringing in my nasal
pasages or heard a spinning sound with high notes. I think it's back to the
drawing board for me.

Lea Ann

emusic.com