Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lea Ann Martin" <LeaAnn@k...>
Date:  Sat Mar 16, 2002  4:54 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Argh another problem

Frivolous? How so? It's standard repertoire!!

Well she said it wasn't right for my voice and not something I wanted in my
rep...frankly I don't get it...lots of mezzos sing this...and you know I am
starting to doubt that I am a mezzo...I just have a feeling that I am a
contralto.

I wouldn't worry too much about Loveliest of Trees not being of your fach.
If you don't want to sing it, however, that's another thing.

Well that's the thing...why would she veto Voi Che Sepate and say Okay to
lovliest of trees? I don't think she really knows that Lovliest of Trees would
be a bad idea...I think it's wonderful too...but that butterworth setting
requires some heavy duty technique and isn't easy.

OH and another thing...something in my technique must be WAY off lately because
when I sing anything over a C natural my throat hurts...I have tried to check
myself for a raised larynx etc...and I am not finding that...I think I have an
open throat..I am not doing anything differently...but now I have a sore throat
after I sing and if I sing a lot of high notes like G and A flat below high C
(from allerseelen)I sound hoarse and almost as if I am losing my speaking voice.
I know I am doing something terribly wrong. There is NO way I am going to do a
recital with no instructor and an onset of a technical problem like this.

Lea Ann

emusic.com