Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@a...>
Date:  Sat Mar 16, 2002  12:20 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Learning disabilities & singers -- Upcoming article for CS

sopran@a... wrote:

> << I have taught children who are by printing out music notation (scores) on
> either bright yellow paper using black ink or on cyan paper with black ink.
> >>

> How interesting! How did you happen to come up with this creative solution?
> Just curious!

After I told a friend I had 7 LD children in my home he suggested this process
under development at Harvard University. I tried it on my children and
amazingly it worked and for the first time since they started school they were
able to read the words correctly. I did the same with a completely LD school
chorus in NH and the kids had no problems anymore reading music.

When Crotched Mountain Rehab Center for handicapped and severely dyslexic
children contacted me to help them discover a way for their dyslexic children
to see the words and notes on a computer screen I used the same technique
making the screen background the color of cyan with bold black letters.

It worked for all but one little girl with MS and lots of other problems. I
decided to take a bold step and printed bright yellow letters on a black
background. That did it for her. She was also able to successfully read white
lettering on a black background. With Dyslexic children you have to be
innovative and daring. They don't see the way the rest of us do so we have to
find ways around that problem. I am sure there are other methods out there
someone has tried, but I don't know who that someone is.

Hope this helped you understand the process. The "why does it work" never
interested me. All I wanted was a way for my girls to learn more easily.

Dean FH Macy, DLit
--
http://www.mp3.com/stations/epilogue_records_artistshtml
http://www.mp3.com/Katelyn