Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@a...>
Date:  Fri Mar 15, 2002  9:37 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Learning disabilities & singers -- Upcoming article for CS

Mezzoid@a... wrote:

> I will be writing an article for an upcoming issue of CLASSICAL SINGER
> regarding learning disabilities. I'm reading a book about teaching music to
> special learners, but I'd like some input that's a little more
> singer-specific. So I'm turning to Vocalist for a little help.

Although I was not dyslexic I have taught children who are by printing out music
notation (scores) on either bright yellow paper using black ink or on cyan paper
with black ink. Over five years of working with dyslexic singers 98% of them
had
no trouble seeing the notes or the words printed on the Cyan or Yellow paper. I
would suggest any teacher who has a kid with a learning disability try this
method. It also makes reading text easier. I have had only one adult who had
study a part for a show who was Dyslexic and he learned his part using my system
faster than most of the other cast members.

Dean FH Macy
--
http://www.mp3.com/stations/epilogue_records_artistshtml
http://www.mp3.com/Katelyn