Vocalist.org archive

From:  Trevor Allen <trevorjamesallen@y...>
Date:  Fri Mar 15, 2002  3:57 pm
Subject:  Renee Fleming singing Jazz

I saw her PBS special "Live from the Penthouse" or
something like that. She was in a smaller room in the
Lincoln Center. She did her whole opera thing and
then she talked about singing jazz in clubs to support
herself through college. She sang John Kander's
"Letter from Sullivan Balloo" and did it beautifully.
She then went on to some more standard jazz rep, like
"Poor Butterfly" and I wasn't thrilled with it. She
still kept her "classical sensibilities". I didn't
believe her as a jazz singer. She sounded like an
opera singer singing a standard. Now, I don't know if
this means she really doesn't sing jazz or not. I
recently did a recital where I threw in some standards
at the end of a whole lot of opera and lieder. I
thought I was sounding "jazzy" and I am a pretty good
jazz singer. I know I do the jazz better than
classical, but after listening to the CD of myself, I
still had my "classical sensibilities" through the
jazz set of a very round sound, raised soft palate,
etc. So, is it possible that Renee really DOES sing
jazz, but just not after a whole lot of legit singing.
It's VERY difficult to make the transition between
these two very different genres within a few seconds
of each other. Any other ideas?

Trevor

http://sports.yahoo.com/

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18060 Re: Renee Fleming singing Jazzkerubiino   Fri  3/15/2002
18079 Re: Renee Fleming singing JazzJohn Link   Fri  3/15/2002

emusic.com