Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Thu Mar 14, 2002  8:21 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] money note

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Trevor Allen wrote:

> To me "Money note" means the note you can hit the
> best, hold the longest and sound the most beautiful
> singing.

Interesting alternate interpretation of the term. The various coaches and
teachers I've worked with have always implied that the money note was the
most "thrilling" note in a singer's range - e.g., the tenor's high C, the
coloratura's high F, the bass's low C, etc. Basically, the note that
audiences pay the big bucks to hear from that particular _fach_ of singer,
and which they bitch about if they *don't* hear it. Evidence: all the
moaning and groaning one reads on Opera-L and rec.music.opera about
tenors who chose not to sing the high Cs that are often interpolations not
written by the composers, but canonical nonetheless because they were
added in by the originators of the roles.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
In all thy ways acknowledge him,
and he shall direct thy paths.