Vocalist.org archive

From:  "valevanni" <valevanni@m...>
Date:  Thu Mar 14, 2002  7:26 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] the dreaded TMJ/TMD problem

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., "Virginija Bruozis Muliolis"
<virginia@m...> wrote:

> I'm interested in finding out 1)how it affects ones "vocal life"
>(is it necessarily a death sentence for a vocalist??) :(
On putting muscular tension during the mandible movements. It can
prevent from opening wide. In my case, the main problem caused from
TMJ was on my neck and my back.

>2)is there relief insight in overcoming it and getting back to some
> degree of vocal ease, and healthy voice production (short of wearing
> those appliances or retainers)
I hope ;-)
I'm wearing a bite from 10 months (Night and day, I take it off only
when I eat, when I sing and when need to speak clearly).
Now, the muscular condition of TM articulation has gotten better, but
I've gotten worse on speaking/singing. As I've just said, I usually
speak with it on, so I've developed a wrong neuro-muscolar
coordination. Now there are different resonating hollows, and my
brain now take into consideration them.

Don't worry, it won't necessary happen to you: I have a particular
condition (big tongue related to mouth space) that makes me become
more sensitive to the problem (a bite steals space from under-tongue
hollow).

>and 3) does one need to seek the advice of a speech pathologist to
>help in the process of recovery and better use of the jaw/mouth?
For me, definitively yes. But I'll begin working with a speech
pathologist (and with a singing teacher) only since I'll have taken
off this bite.
Then I will be able to work on correct positions: now a therapy would
be detrimental.

bye

emusic.com