Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Thu Mar 14, 2002  5:56 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] fry, modal and falsetto

In a message dated 3/14/2002 12:39:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dgrogan@e... writes:

> would say it is very possible to connect the speech patterns with the
> singing voice if you are going to be using a mic. I was only talking about
> (and I tried to make it clear) classical singing, which requires the
> ability
> to sing over an orchestra with amplification, which I am not sure Tony
> Bennet could do.

david,

good. that's an even simpler connection from speech to singing than
i was making. if we can see a connection from speech to pop singing as
simple, i would say the connection from singing that sounds like speech to
singing that sounds like opera, is even simpler. by altering the resonator
and making the essential vowel sound longer, the same speech-like singing can
become more operatic. there are enough 'popera' singers illustrating this
linkage at various stages.

if i am right in thinking that operatic vocal production is simply
another use of the voice and not an exceptional use of the voice, that means
that it can also be more easily learnt than it currently is. (this might
mean letting go of the notion that being an opera singer entitles one to
special glory.)

mike

emusic.com