Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Thu Mar 14, 2002  4:57 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] money note

In a message dated 3/14/2002 11:40:40 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ODivaTina@a... writes:

> Which is a good guide to picking your repertoire. It is amazing to observe
> which pieces have just the right shape of a line to capitalize on which
> notes
> really ring out naturally in your voice.

tina,

one of my former voice teachers, the late richard cassilly, used to
say that the location of one's 'climax notes' were what determined voice
catagory. at the time, he was new to teaching so, he was speaking from the
context of world class professional singing where many of the singers'
abilities overlap into other catagories. and in that consideration,
identification of fach is a matter of deciding which of one's abilities are
best made use of rather than which of one's shortcomings are most livable.
for example: bernd weikl, in the book 'divo', talked about the differences
between singing 'largo al factotum' from 'barber of seville' and 'fin ch'han
dal vino' from 'don giovanni'. while perfectly capable of singing both, he
said he was more able to put more thrust in the rossini than the mozart
because of where both fit in his voice. for that reason, he believed don
giovanni to be better sung by a bass-baritone.

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17994 sharing success!!EdgewoodVoiceStudio   Thu  3/14/2002
18013 Re: sharing success!!Karen Mercedes   Thu  3/14/2002
18010 Re: money noteKaren Mercedes   Thu  3/14/2002

emusic.com