Vocalist.org archive

From:  <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Wed Mar 13, 2002  6:13 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Vocal Concerto?

Emily wrote:
> Hello, list! Long time lurker, first time poster.

Good to hear from you onlist!

<<I am currently taking a class on the history of the concerto (small school...
I didn't have a whole lot of options.) Our final project is a 40 minute
presentation on a concerto of our choosing. I am having a difficult time
choosing a piece. Part of our presentation is to discuss performance practice
and technique, etc., which I would have difficulty doing for any instrument
other than voice (though I suppose I could fake it.) >>

The only solo vocal work I can think of that comes close in form to an
instrumental concerto is the already-suggested Mozart Exultate Jubilate. While
I haven't analyzed the work, I suspect each of the movements has form-al
counterparts in Classical-period instrumental concerti (isn't the last movement
sonata-rondo?). This is a relatively early Mozart work, so it could probably be
compared with Mozart early instrumental concertos, and you can highlight
differences voice vs. instrument.

Now, if you're willing to deal with choral music and your professor would let
you use the last movement of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, you're home free!!!

A symphonic work with solo voice is the Mahler Fourth Symphony, in which one of
the movements is scored for mezzo and orchestra. I played the work as an
orchestra member a long time ago, so I don't recall much about the movement's
structure, though Mahler is not known for adhering much to formal structures
anyway.

I don't think a work like Strauss's Four Last Songs is a good choice, because
they are songs with orchestral accompaniment and I don't think have much to do
with the Concerto form.

Let us know what you decide to do. This sounds like fun!

Peggy

----
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com