Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Wed Mar 13, 2002  6:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] fry, modal and falsetto

In a message dated 3/13/2002 12:57:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dgrogan@e... writes:

> So, while there is not a different mechanism used for singing, it is used
> in
> unique ways that differentiate it from speaking. Kind of like the
> difference in walking and dancing, or treading water and swimming.

david,

your comparison of walking and talking to dancing and singing is much
more in keeping with reality than the claims that singing comes from a
different voice.

all the things you mention, the sustaining of a specific pitch despite
variances in volume, the sustaining of a particular vowel as opposed to a
glide, etc., are matters of management that require different decisions
rather than different mechanics. and all these changes can be applied to
speaking as well as singing.

by making more of what is required for singing, we make the task of
singing appear to be more difficult than it need be. (maybe that's the
idea, to keep it 'elite'.) i do think that anyone who can talk, and
recognize one note from another, can sing. what gets in most people's way
are misconceptions of how sound works (like thinking 'high' and 'low' are a
matter of height instead of frequency) and a failure to identify exactly what
the task is.

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17962 Re: fry, modal and falsettoDavid   Wed  3/13/2002
17984 Re: fry, modal and falsettobjjocelyn@p...   Thu  3/14/2002

emusic.com