Vocalist.org archive

From:  emily0813@a...
Date:  Wed Mar 13, 2002  1:10 pm
Subject:  Vocal Concerto?

Hello, list! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am currently taking a class on the history of the concerto (small school...
I didn't have a whole lot of options.) Our final project is a 40 minute
presentation on a concerto of our choosing. I am having a difficult time
choosing a piece. Part of our presentation is to discuss performance practice
and technique, etc., which I would have difficulty doing for any instrument
other than voice (though I suppose I could fake it.) Based on the vast
knowledge of repertoire that this list seems to have, I am wondering if
anyone might have any suggestions as to something that might concievably work
as a "vocal concerto"? My current selection is "Barber, Knoxville: Summer of
1915." While this piece is NOT remotely a concerto by any stretch of the
imagination, my professor said I could do it if I thought I could make it
work (and the more I look at it, the more I realize I can't.) If I have no
other options, I'll probably choose a Bach cantata (or something like that),
but I am more interested in something post 1800. Someone in our class once
suggested Strauss's Four Last Songs? Any thoughts on that? Any suggestions or
help would be appreciated!! Thanks so much!
Emily

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17949 Re: Vocal Concerto?Greypins@a...   Wed  3/13/2002
17950 Re: Vocal Concerto?Karen Mercedes   Wed  3/13/2002
17954 Re: [vocalist] Vocal Concerto?colin-reed@l...   Wed  3/13/2002
17956 Re: Vocal Concerto?thomas mark montgomery   Wed  3/13/2002
17959 Re: Vocal Concerto?peggyh@i...   Wed  3/13/2002

emusic.com