Vocalist.org archive

From:  Kate Reid <radishes@r...>
Date:  Tue Mar 12, 2002  4:57 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] MED: Vioxx and the voice

On a related note. . . GWendel wrote:

Shouldn't be a problem. Actually, Vioxx (as well as Celebrex), unlike other
NSAIDs tends to promote blood clotting [Can be a problem in cardiac
patients]. That said, you are wise to be concerned about effects of ANY
medications (OTC or prescription) on voice. Along with steroids, NSAIDs,
including these two, can tend to cause fluid retention if taken for more
than a couple of weeks. I'd take the Vioxx for a week. If your shoulder
doesn't feel better, call your doctor; inflammation isn't the problem.

I suffer from osteo-arthritis in my chest (the result of an invasive chest wall
reconstructive procedure that was performed three years ago). I tried taking
both celebrex and vioxx, but both caused serious stomach bleeding, so my
rheumatologist recommended that I take mobic. I've been on mobic, on and off,
for about a year, and so far, I haven't had any adverse gastro side effects.
Reading this thread, it occurred to me that I might be putting myself at risk,
vocally, by taking anti-inflammatories for so long. I'm only 17-years-old, so
it looks like I'm going to need to take SOMETHING for many years to come. I
don't take mobic constantly; generally, I'll take it for a month, then, when the
pain decreases, I'll stop for a month or more. Should I be pursuing other
methods of arthritis control? Anyone care to comment? All responses are
appreciated!

Kate