Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Mon Mar 11, 2002  1:40 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Teaching question

In a message dated 3/11/2002 1:28:54 AM Central Standard Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

> Yes, it could be called a register but it is not usually given that
> definition because the passaggio is a "passage" pitch range between
> the chest voice with its primary involvement of the thyroarytenoid
> muscles (TA) and the head voice with it primary involvement of the
> crycothyroid muscles (CT).
> --
> Lloyd W. Hanson

With matters like this it comes down to what you decide in a sense. The
middle seems like a different register to me because the function used to
create it is different; TA + CT as opposed to being a one muscle function.
However, I can understand how someone would choose to not call it a register
and describe it as an overlapping of two purer registers.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com