Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Mon Mar 11, 2002  1:36 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] fry, modal and falsetto

In a message dated 3/11/2002 1:17:45 AM Central Standard Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

> I do think it is accurate to say that head voice is not required for
> a majority of non-classical singing and consequently it is a skill
> that few non-classical singers display nor seek to learn. If one
> considers also that non-classical singing does not require the
> extension of vocal range that is common in classical singing it is
> logical that head voice would not be as necessary.

Lloyd,

You need to listen to some of the hard rock (especially from the 70s and
80s). It is pitched very high and lies up there more consistently than most
operatic literature. Many of those singers use a form of head voice that
would be described as pharyngeal in nature. It is not falsetto but at the
same time it does not have the depth to it that a good operatic tenor does.
This is most likely due to laryngeal position and vowels that sound more
pure.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com