Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Fri May 19, 2000  8:10 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Ladies' Recital Attire (long)

>From: LMorgan923@a...
>
>In a message dated 05/19/2000 11:31:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>sopran@a... writes:
>
><< In my experience, if you are a woman over 40 any larger than a size 8
>(or
> maybe a 10) you are going to have problems finding clothing for almost
>any
> situation--but recital attire is particularly difficult.>>

The choices for large size women's
>clothing have really improved over the last 10 years in most areas, but I'm
>really having trouble finding formal wear.

Here's how I solved the problem:

I'm not large enough to be covered by that new ordinance in San Francisco,
but I do come from a proud family of big, strong women and have an enormous
rib cage. (The mighty mezzo voice has to come from SOMEWHERE, right?) When
I went shopping for an "opera night" gown, I found that I couldn't get into
the nipped-in fitted bodices in the usual eveningwear, even when I went
larger than my usual size. The alternative was going with a
mother-of-the-bride dress (maybe in 10 years!).

On impulse, I headed to one of our local India import emporiums... and came
out with a gorgeous violet beaded salwaar-kameez (long tunic with matching
trousers and scarf). It lets me breathe! It looks great! It was ****ON
SALE****. And the scarf turned out to be a great prop for some of my arias.
(Those who saw the lovely Dame Judi Dench at the Oscar broadcast can get
the idea.)

It might not be quite as easy to find an Indian boutique in an area that
doesn't boast a large number of software programmers. But it's worth a try!

(To Bay Area Vocalisters: Store is Rani Fashions, located in the back of
India Bazaar on El Camino Real in Santa Clara. Will provide exact location
and directions on request.)

Elizabeth Finkler
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo/
mightymezzo@h...

I don't think of myself as a canary. I am a big, bad-a** mockingbird.