Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Sun Mar 10, 2002  1:50 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Unlearning damage before you've learned anything?

In a message dated 3/10/2002 12:23:13 AM Central Standard Time,
taylor23f@h... writes:

> Randy...I completely agree here. Some teachers produce fine
> SINGERS ...while others produce fine BREATHERS:)
> By the way, I enjoyed your excellent article in the NATS Journal.
>
> Taylor L. Ferranti
> Certificate of Vocology
> DMA Candidate Voice Performance/Voice Science
> Louisiana State University

Thanks for your nice words. I know a teacher who often says, "I've known
some great breathers who were horrible singers and some great singers who
were horrible breathers."

Granted he's painting with a rather broadstroke, but there is some truth in
this. Too many teachers (the vast majority of them from my experience) focus
on breathing as the root of all problems and it is not in many cases.
Therefore focusing on it when it is not the issues is misdirected and
frustrating to the student.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com