Vocalist.org archive

From:  <szy@n...>
Date:  Sat Mar 9, 2002  5:34 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] sad news in NYTimes. - WNYC Plans to Reduce Classical Music

We had two local public radio stations in the Triangle area of NC (Raleigh,
Durham and Chapel Hill). WUNC kept shortening its musical offerings over
the past 10 years until it recently became "all talk" too. Many of us took
our contributions elsewhere (I like some of the talk shows but honestly -
who needs 2 hours of "Talk of the Nation" each day, etc???). Our other
alternative is a completely classical music station but their programming is
soooo boring! Everything is 18th and 19th century music (all instrumental,
by the way), one night of opera per week, and the Met broadcast on Sat., but
sadly lacking in anything exciting. It's like listening to classical
"musak"! I've been turning on the computer and listening to WQXR (96.3) in
NYC but my speakers are so bad I usually resort to CD's instead. I thought
this was just a local happening; sad to think it's indicative of a larger
trend across the US!

Sharon Szymanski

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17877 Re: sad news in NYTimes. - WNYC Plans to Reduce CLee Morgan   Sat  3/9/2002

emusic.com