Vocalist.org archive

From:  "westernactor" <matthewmurray@m...>
Date:  Sat Mar 9, 2002  5:32 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Unlearning damage before you've learned anything?

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., Imthurn Melinda <mimthurn@y...>
wrote:

> Let us know where you live, maybe some of us can help
> you find someone!

I'm currently in New York City, which I think is both a blessing and
a curse. The good part about it is that there are so many voice
teachers available. The bad part about it is that there are so many
voice teachers available!
I'm not going to mention the name of the teacher I just stopped
working with, because I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea--
he's tremendously nice, and has done some wonderful things for lots
of people, but I'm just not sure he was right for me. He's very
mentally oriented (Zen, as he calls it), and that is so very hard
for me, it just makes an impossible thing for me even harder. I was
originally attracted to the idea of working with him because he has
been in a number of sigificant Broadway shows, City Opera
productions, and lots of other productions in the musical theatre
and opera realms all over the place. Plus, he developed severe
vocal problems from improper training that he was able to overcome
by completely overhauling his old way of doing things and learning
again from scratch. I thought someone with that kind of experience
would be ideal in helping me, but things just didn't seem to work
out that way.
It doesn't matter what I say or do, I just can't seem to make my
singing teacher understand that picturing this and picturing that
DON'T HELP ME. I just want to do technical, physical things in
order to get it to work rather than having to imagine this or that,
because my mind just doesn't translate whatever pictures may be in
my head into anything related to singing, and my inability to do
that only piles problems on where I certainly don't need any more!
But, like I said, it's entirely possible there's just no way to do
it the way I want to do it.
The teacher I mentioned above frequently said that if singing were
easy, everyone would do it. Well, it's not easy, and maybe it's
just not something I can do. Maybe I'm just an anyone never meant
for doing something like this. I think that's what I fear most of
all.

--Matthew

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17873 Re: Unlearning damage before you've learned anythSharon Szymanski   Sat  3/9/2002

emusic.com