Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Sat Mar 9, 2002  12:28 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Unlearning damage before you've learned anything?

Matthew, it does become one register when it all works. Top b and c's
are no more difficult than low c. Someone said about changing things
that you are doing, to see what happens.

This extends to the teacher as well, but you must be prepared to do
the work and it can be really frustrating for we tenors. :)

My suggestions for you to mess with; the rib cage is your main bodily
support, if it collapses, your middle system has nothing to hang on to.

Second, think VOWELS and let the flip of the tongue take care of the
consonants, hope you can grasp what I mean.

Third, learn a French song so well that you know the notes and words
as well as your own name. Use it as a "placement" device. I mention
this as a means of separating yourself from old habits particularly in
the vocalisers and scales. Too hard to change technique if you've
become bedeviled by doing the wrong thing in the same old exercises.

Fourth, in my opinion, the idea of JUST singing, misses the problem by
a country mile. Speaking and singing have nothing in common except
the mechanism. Only the vowel is musical, and any interference from
the rest of the word will create physical tension. We must learn to
clear away these story telling non-musical effects. Ok so the problem
of diction remains but let it come along later, learn to be musical with
a magnificent sostenuto first.

Thank you for letting me consolidate the mental images of what I'm
finally succeeding in doing at last,thanks to two lovely ladies and my
own efforts. Good luck.

emusic.com