Vocalist.org archive

From:  Imthurn Melinda <mimthurn@y...>
Date:  Fri Mar 8, 2002  10:17 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Unlearning damage before you've learned anything?

> I very much want to learn how to sing, but it's way
> too freaking
> expensive if I never, ever get any better!
>
> --Matthew

There is a teacher with a solution to your vocal
issues, you just have to find the right teacher who:
1. Can correctly assess what the REAL issues are
2. Effectively provide solutions for the issues
3. Communicate them so that you can understand and
put them into practice

Of course, this is easier said than done. Of the
teachers I've had, the one with the best reputation
was not the best for me. The best way to find a
teacher is to take a few lessons without committing.
If what the teacher does improves your singing at that
moment, he or she is on to something.

Of course, it will take you much longer to make these
habit, but if the teacher has found the important
issues and knows how to address them, you should be
able to feel improvement while you are in your
lessons.

Don't give up! If singing is important enough for you
to invest the time and money you have for the past 8
years, it is worth continuing the effort! So many of
us study for years with respected teachers and and
never stumble upon the "right" teacher for us until we
have been singing for ages! But the good news is,
once you find him or her, you'll be amazed at how
quickly you can progress. I have progressed more in 9
months with my current teacher than I did in 3 years
with my prior teacher and have finally undone the bad
habits I learned in 4 years with the one before her!

Let us know where you live, maybe some of us can help
you find someone!

17869 Re: Unlearning damage before you've learned anythwesternactor   Sat  3/9/2002
17873 Re: Unlearning damage before you've learned anythSharon Szymanski   Sat  3/9/2002

emusic.com