Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ms Christine Zimmermann <zimmecp@y...>
Date:  Fri Mar 8, 2002  8:25 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Unlearning damage before you've learned anything?

for those of you who are having technique problems...I
have spent the past few years having to correct some
really bad habits i learned in undergrad...the best
advice i have is find a really patient teacher...with
extraordinary ears...my current teacher was able to
really pinpoint the problems spots in my voice beyond
just "tension" she has been able to tell me the
specific pitches and consonants that cause my tongue
to pull so i have been able to start good habits. I
have also spent more time than i ever thought i would
( like an hour a day) working on the Viardot
vocalises. She has been especially patient about my
not focusung on as much rep...but I have corrected a
ton of problems and added good technique in less time
than it took me to develop the bad habits! As far as
tuning your ears, the more you listen to REALLY GOOD
SINGERS (available at your local record store) the
better you will be able to notice bad singing. (If
you don;t have good speakers...invest in good
headphones) and as far as your own singing
goes...invest in a REALLY GOOD microphone and record
yourself...and listen!
Bonne Chance!
xoxo
Christine