Vocalist.org archive

From:  Imthurn Melinda <mimthurn@y...>
Date:  Fri Mar 8, 2002  4:53 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] 2 ?'s from a new list member

--- cjb3927 <cjb3927@y...> wrote:
> Someone out there correct me if I'm wrong. What I
> think we are talking about is the "break" between
your low voiceand your high voice.

You are wrong. There is more than one passaggio in
every voice. And the voice is more complex than "low
voice and high voice." The "major" passaggio for
females is the transition between chest voice and
mixed voice, but the second passaggio is actually more
useful in classifying voices. And I personally don't
like the connotation of the word "break."

> How you find you break is usually after you have
> been singing for hours and are really getting tired
(physically, not necessarily vocally) your support
gives out on that note, and that note only - time to
quit for the day.

I don't really think the above is an effective way of
finding your passaggi. I don't know why one's voie
would start to "give out" on one note only, but I
certainly have not heard of this method of discerning
passaggi and feel positive that it is not one in wide
(or narrow) acceptance.

Melinda