Vocalist.org archive

From:  "cjb3927" <cjb3927@y...>
Date:  Thu Mar 7, 2002  11:32 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] 2 ?'s from a new list member

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., "ccgraham7" <ccgraham7@y...> wrote:
> --- In vocalist-temporary@y..., Imthurn Melinda <mimthurn@y...>
wrote:

> > Your range is not nearly as important in classifying
> > your voice as are other vocal traits, such as where
> > certain transitions occur in your voice. If you want
> > a good explanation of this, look in Richard Miller's
> > The Structure of Singing.
> Dear Melinda and list,
>
> Thank you, Melinda for your reply to my fisrt post.
>
> I read a book about a year ago that talked about registration and
> passagi, which I'm assuming Melinda is referring to, but I did not
> really "get it." Would someone on this list mind explaining these
> concepts in simple terms? Also, how can I discover for myself
where
> the transitions occur in my own voice? (any exercises or anything?)

Someone out there correct me if I'm wrong. What I think we are
talking about is the "break" between your low voice and your high
voice. A lot of people say that for a soprano it is at d above
middle c, and for mezzos it is at e above middle c. Mine was at g
above middle c last time I stumbled across it and I'm "wow, a true
soprano, with nice low notes too!". Go figure.

How you find you break is usually after you have been singing for
hours and are really getting tired (physically, not necessarily
vocally) your support gives out on that note, and that note only -
time to quit for the day.

Then you spend your time smoothing out your break. That is called
developing your middle voice, your goal if you want to sing.

Hope that helps.

> Thanks,
> C.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17841 Re: 2 ?'s from a new list memberImthurn Melinda   Fri  3/8/2002

emusic.com