Vocalist.org archive

From:  Vicki Bryant <MezzoNotte@e...>
Date:  Wed Mar 6, 2002  5:38 pm
Subject:  Re[2]: [vocalist] can we discuss lesson prices?

Wednesday, March 06, 2002, 10:33:41 AM, TinaO wrote:

Oac> I agree with you 100%, completely! It is actually not so much that a voice
Oac> teacher teaches, as guides each student to find the answers to their own
Oac> vocal issues for themselves, and encourages, and in some cases, steers
those
Oac> discoveries to what sounds right to the teacher's (hopefully) knowledgeable

Oac> ear. The student is the ultimate teacher of themselves, as they are the
ones
Oac> who have to be the diagnostician under the circumstances of practice and
Oac> performance. The teacher is not out there singing for them, ever. How scary

Oac> it is for the student if they don't take this ownership for their
technique!

Absolutely! One of the first things I tell my students is "I can't
teach you how to sing." After they look at me with a puzzled stare, I
follow with "My job is not to teach you how to sing; my job is to
teach you how to figure out for yourself how to sing." It has to be a
cooperative effort with lots of two-way communication going on or, in
my experience, very little progress is made.

Vicki Bryant mailto:MezzoNotte@e...
Naperville, IL
http://home.earthlink.net/~mbryantsprint/music_business.htm

emusic.com