Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caiorossi@t...>
Date:  Tue Mar 5, 2002  11:52 pm
Subject:  ST THOMAS AQUINAS'S THEORY OF VALUE WAS: can we discuss lesson prices?

Steven:

>Those of you who have written that a teaching fee should be relative to
the going rate in the market are, of course, correct. Also correct are those
who have written that teaching voice is as legitimate as any other
profession and should be compensated accordingly. I think the real issue,
though, is earning according to one's qualifications - an extremely
subjective thing when it comes to voice...The real issue behind this thread,
in my unsolicited opinion, is not lesson prices but charging what one
deserves to earn. (Again, a subjective thing without a doubt.)

The problem is that some people here want to resuscitate St. Thomas
Aquinas's theory of value and find the "just price". There probably is such
an ideal price, but the problem is that we're hardly ever able to calculate
it and also find someone who agrees with your mathematics. One of the
factors that held back the economic development of Catholic countries int he
past was that the Church and the Catholic intellectuals got stuck with
Aquinas's theory while protestant countries celebrated God's blessing as
material wealth.

The solution to the real issue behind this thread, as you put it above, is
acknowledging that people are not always willing to pay what you think you
deserve to earn. In other words, MARKET RULES.

Best wishes,

Caio

emusic.com