Vocalist.org archive

From:  Imthurn Melinda <mimthurn@y...>
Date:  Tue Mar 5, 2002  9:54 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] can we discuss lesson prices?

--- Steven Mello <spmello@a...> wrote:
> Of course it is possible for a twenty or
thirty year old to understand voice so completely that
they are capable of
effective teaching, but I have no doubt that that is
an extreme exception.

Okay, Steven, I agree with everything you said except
this. Age has nothing to do with good teaching!

At 27 with a ped degree, I find myself a more
effective teacher than some of my university
professors. I still have a lot to learn, but age does
not make the teacher. I am certain that as I am
exposed to more voices and continue my learning in the
technical matters, teaching techniques, etc. as well
as continue to work on my singing, my teaching will
improve. BUT that is (hopefully) a lifelong process
for EVERYONE.

Also, it is my opinion that until we have some sort of
licensing board for teachers of voice, we will
continue to not be respected as we should be. Yes, we
each gain respect on our own, but as far as the
profession in general, we do not have the reputation
we deserve. We are educated professionals! I hope
that this need is met in the near future, perhaps by
NATS. Yes, education alone does not make a good
teacher and neither does a singing career, but this is
a separate discussion.

It seems that even within our profession, pedagogical
knowledge is not respected (or expected) as it should
be. My experience has been that as long as one can
impress colleagues with performing credentials, he or
she is assumed to be a good teacher. I am surprised
that, as I read job postings for teachers of voice, an
impressive performance background is ALWAYS stressed
whereas pedagogical knowledge is almost NEVER
mentioned. Performance experience is certainly
important, but one would think that music educators
would realize that a pedagogy background is also
essential for good teaching.

Melinda