Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Mon Mar 4, 2002  5:00 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Mic placement to record a vocal quintet

In a message dated 3/3/2002 5:20:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
johnlink@n... writes:

> So here's another line of thought. The recording is going to be done
> at a performance, and the five singers typically arrange themselves
> evenly around a quarter circle (90 degrees). If I take that

My boyfriend was a record producer and sound engineer for 20 + years, doing
studio recordings in his own studio for small to large labels, and live sound
for headlining acts at large rooms and stadiums.
He makes outstanding sounding recordings, and he has one, basic simple rule:
Put the mics where they sound good. Listen thru the phones while you are
placing them, and set them where they sound full, warm, and natural. All the
books and theoretical equations in the world won't take the place of the
reality of simply using your ears.
TinaO

emusic.com