Vocalist.org archive

From:  Martyn Clark <martyn@v...>
Date:  Sun Mar 3, 2002  4:32 pm
Subject:  Re: can we discuss lesson prices?

Okay. My input.

Markets are driven by demand.

Singing teachers are in a market.

The price should be set for each market at a sustainable level...

I have paid $100 for singing lessons and $20 for singing lessons. Both
were just as good, but the markets were different. The names were
different, and what I expected from the lessons was different. When I do
voice work with people, and I create an individual workplan, give them
structured work to do at home, and prepare thoroughly for each session,
include computer voice analysis etc, I charge up to $200 for an hour.
When I work with executives on voice coaching, I charge up to $400 per
hour. When I help an old pastor who has lost his voice, I do it for
free. For students or unemployed, I will charge 50% of the normal rates.

Martyn

emusic.com