Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lea Ann Martin" <LeaAnn@k...>
Date:  Sun Mar 3, 2002  3:25 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] THINGS AREN'T SO SIMPLE RE can we discuss lesson prices?

I think it comes down to the value the students perceive they are getting. I
increased my rate in my Naperville studio by 67% a few years ago and lost no
one.

Exactly...so you can understand why a teacher working out of her home who
teaches mostly high school students and has no degree or a low level degree
could not compete with a teacher who teaches students who want to be
professionals, who is teaching out of a studio and has credentials out the
wazoo. My last teacher charged 20 dollars for a half hour, I was her only adult
student, her other students used her to get ready for high school musicals and
such. And as I said before she had no interest in professional opera(which was
not made clear to me initially)..and she knew nearly nothing about anyone in the
current opera scene...yet she still tried to charge as much as the head of the
vocal music dept at our local university....and when I called to try and find a
new teacher I heard just how ridiculous that was from teacher after teacher.
It's so important to find out about your local market...who is teaching..what is
known about them and their reputation. I wish I had known more when I was
initially looking for a teacher, I would have made a wiser decision and not
wasted months with someone who was totally uninterested in me. When I called
around to find a teacher...I was so green..so price was a criteria I used...I
thought that the most expensive would be the best. I heard about people
charging 12 for an hour and I thought..how good could they be? I figured they
were really young or just out of it. I chose the person in this area who
charged the most...and I ended up with someone who has not the best reputation.
So when looking for the next teacher I paid a LOT more attention to what we
talked about on the phone...I had prepared questions and expectations based on
what I did NOT want to happen (like wasting 15 minutes of my lesson each week)
And my new teacher answered my questions and made me feel like she knew her
stuff! Honestly you guys my other teacher was in the dark...I asked her about
bel canto one day and she said "all that means is beautiful singing and nothing
more" Now I can ask any questions about fach or bel canto and I get an informed
answer, and usually an answer based on a discussion my teacher has had with
other vocal faculty members and working opera and workshop experience. My
teacher teacher charges 15.00 an hour! Her little rules and regulations hand out
even states that required music will not have to be paid for. It's so amazing!
Of course I pay for all my own music anyway...but imagine that! It's such a
world of difference I cannot tell you!

Lea Ann

emusic.com