Vocalist.org archive

From:  "EdgewoodVoiceStudio" <EdgewoodVoiceStudio@a...>
Date:  Sun Mar 3, 2002  2:18 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] can we discuss lesson prices?

It’s interesting the question that Lea Ann brings about being affordable
for the student who isn’t “swimming in cash”. I am supposed to be
paying quarterly for my daughter’s piano lessons through a community
music program. Her lessons are $52 an hour and I really can’t afford
it, I have trouble paying the semester’s tuition and I’m always behind,
but they let me keep my girl in the program. Her teacher is a Russian
pianist/accompanist and now coaches for Seattle Opera and I just feel
the teacher is worth $52 an hour because she keeps my 17 year old
motivated. However, I realize that most of my families and adults who
take lessons from me don’t have my personal goal to spend money on
lessons and education before I choose to spend money on new furniture,
appliances or clothes. I like having a lot of students feeling like
they are getting a good deal on their lessons. But, I don’t want to be
stupid either .. I give away a lot of time on top of being
semi-inexpensive… helping high school students with extra time to get
ready for contest… and those who do my recitals, giving them free extra
rehearsal time and so on. I should survey the area but I’m lazy and
thought I would just ask this list instead ..((grin))…

I probably won’t double my prices but maybe go up $5… but I’m still not
sure, and I won’t do it until Fall anyway, if at all. It’ll be
interesting to see what happens at this workshop I’m going to in April
regarding money and so on.

Deanna in Edgewood

---

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date