Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lea Ann Martin" <LeaAnn@k...>
Date:  Sun Mar 3, 2002  1:42 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] can we discuss lesson prices?

Just to clarify - I actually charge by the 16-week semester, with
students paying either a full term or two payments of half each (special
payment arrangements possible for those who need it, but few do this).

Sharon Szymanski

Do you ever wonder how many wonderful singers miss out on voice lessons because
they cannot afford to pay for a full semester at a time? I know you say you
offer payments..but very few people need them...all that says is that all your
students are swimming in a sea of cash...or are too embarrassed to say money is
a problem. Who are these students that have such easy access to such a lot of
cash? I guess it really isn't a matter of who the serious students are when
deciding on whether to raise your prices...it's a matter of having wealthy
students or students with wealthy parents. So really singing can be just as
elitist and shallow as everything else...hopefully it isn't always that way.
Just out of curiosity how would you tell a student that you decided to double
the price of lessons...what would you base that on? I could see raising the
price a bit at a time...but doubling it?

And believe it or not some students will have to quit because they simply cannot
afford to pay any more than they already do. Maybe I am just a softy...but I
would feel really bad about someone having to quit lessons with me because they
could no longer afford me.

Lea Ann

Lea Ann

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17744 Re: can we discuss lesson prices?EdgewoodVoiceStudio   Sun  3/3/2002
17766 Re: can we discuss lesson prices? Longszy@n...   Sun  3/3/2002

emusic.com