Vocalist.org archive

From:  colin-reed@l...
Date:  Fri Mar 1, 2002  10:39 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] classical songs for non-classical people

Do you want them to be wowed by your classical (ie operatic) voice, or do
you want them to be wowed by your musicality and song-singing? I realise
that these should be one and the same, but to a non-classical audience not
used to the style of voice, it may be worth thinking about. If you want
fireworks, then I'm certain that any big verismo aria would work. If you
want something less operatic but appealing to a wide audience then I would
say try some of the less formal Poulenc Melodies. Take your pick from any
of Chanson d'Orkenise, C, Le Pont, Montparnasse, Hotel, Voyage a Paris,
etc. Something by Faure could also be good, Apres un reve perhaps? I find
that the more dreamy French repertoire is often more accessible to non-classical
ears than the often more introspective German Lieder. Maybe it's also because
I speak much better French than German!!

Best wishes

Colin Reed