Vocalist.org archive

From:  "takooda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Thu Feb 28, 2002  5:34 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Vowel Formants

Dear Sally,

I was contemplating using LPC to track and compare formants between
countertenors and female singers, but apparently it isn't the way to
go!

Is there a technique you could recommend that would more accurately
estimate formant frequencies (esp f3 and f4) for vocalists singing in
the 250-500Hz range? I noticed there is a Burg formant algorithm
built into Praat, what is your opinion on its efficacy?

Thanks so much for sharing your knowlege - you've already saved me a
lot of trouble exploring LPC :-)

yours,
Tako

> Linear predictive coding is a common technique to estimate formant
> frequencies. Monsen and Engebretson** found its accuracy was +/-
60Hz for
> formants 1 to 3 over a fundamental frequency range of 100-300Hz.
LPC's
> accuracy lessens greatly as fundamental frequency rises above
350Hz, which
> is only around E4-F4. So the weather forecast for estimating
formant
> frequencies when singing above E4 is 'cloudy, becoming dangerous'.

emusic.com