Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Tue Feb 26, 2002  4:48 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] American duets

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Molly S wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm looking for a duet for soprano (coloratura or full lyric) and lyric
> baritone. The person coordinating this event wants it to be American, and
> I'm not sure if he means that he'd prefer musical theater or not. I'd like
> to get ideas from both American operas and musicals if possible. This will
> be for an encore, so it has to be light/upbeat.

I've put an asterisk next to the ones that are definitely coloratura-only,
and a plus-sign next to the ones that are definitely full lyric-only. All
others could be sung by either, particularly in concert (ie, out of the
context of the staged opera/operetta/musical).

FROM OPERA

*Moore: THE BALLAD OF BABY DOE - "I'm not going, Horace...Horace, my
love!"

+Gershwin: PORGY AND BESS - "Bess, you is my woman/I loves you Porgy"

Hanson: MERRY MOUNT - Act II love duet for Wrestling Bradford and Lady
Marigold (as Astoreth)

+Robert Ward: THE CRUCIBLE - duet for Abigail Williams and John Proctor

*Menotti: THE TELEPHONE - final duet

+Barber: ANTONY AND CLEOPATRA - duet for Antony and Cleopatra

FROM OPERETTA

Friml: ROSE MARIE - Indian Love Call ("When I'm calling yooooooooou")

Friml: THE VAGABOND KING - Only a Rose

Herbert: EILEEN - Thine alone

Herbert: SWEETHEARTS - Sweethearts, Cricket on the Hearth, Angelus

Romberg: THE DESERT SONG - The Desert Song

Romberg: MAYTIME - Will you remember? (Sweetheart)

Romberg: THE NEW MOON - Wanting you

Romberg: UP IN CENTRAL PARK - Close as pages in a book

Herbert: NAUGHTY MARIETTA - Ah! Sweet mystery of life

FROM MUSICAL THEATRE

Rodgers/Hammerstein: OKLAHOMA! - People will say we're in love

Rodgers/Hammerstein: CAROUSEL - If I loved you

Kern: SHOW BOAT - Make believe, You are love

Simon/Norman: THE SECRET GARDEN - How could I ever know? (from the full
score, not the "Selections" songbook)

Lerner/Loewe: CAMELOT - What do the simple folk do?

Loesser: GUYS AND DOLLS - My time of day/I've never been in love before

Ahrens/Flaherty: RAGTIME - Wheels of a Dream

Porter: KISS ME KATE - Wunderbar

Willson: THE MUSIC MAN - Till there was you

Kern: THE CAT AND THE FIDDLE - The night was made for love, I watch the
love parade

Rodgers/Hart: I MARRIED AN ANGEL - Spring is here

Wright/Forrest: KISMET - Rhymes have I

Rodgers/Hammerstein: CINDERELLA - Do I love you because you're beautiful?

Rodgers/Hammerstein: SOUND OF MUSIC - Something good [from the movie
soundtrack; now generally included in live productions too]

Herman: HELLO, DOLLY! - It only takes a moment

Schmidt: THE FANTASTICKS - Soon it's gonna rain, They were you

Weill: LADY IN THE DARK - This is new

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
What lies behind us, and what lies before us
are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17672 Re: Emotional hiccupsDebra Johnson   Tue  2/26/2002
17673 Re: Emotional hiccupsJohn Link   Tue  2/26/2002
17771 How my recital went...Trevor Allen   Mon  3/4/2002
17774 Don't you hate it when... Karen Mercedes   Mon  3/4/2002

emusic.com