Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Mon Feb 18, 2002  11:29 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] good New York Times article..

Laura Ruiz wrote:
> Perhaps I misunderstand certain aspects of copyright law (it wouldn't be
> a huge surprise), but by not deleting the copyright line, by telling
> everyone who wrote it and who owns the rights to the article, isn't that
> covering all the bases?

In short, No, unless you have the permission of the
copyright holder. There is such a thing as "fair use". In
this context, that would mean quoting a short passage.

It's possible that the article isn't available
> online (I haven't checked this myself).

All NY Times articles are available online - usually only
the day they are in the paper, but some articles are carried
online a little longer. And you can e-mail links to
people. You can also e-mail articles, but this doesn't work
when you try to e-mail a whole article to a mailing list
like ours (I know because I've tried and failed). I assume
it will work for e-mailing a link.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17598 Re: good New York Times article..John Link   Mon  2/18/2002
17599 Re: good New York Times article..Isabelle Bracamonte   Tue  2/19/2002

emusic.com