Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Fiona Chow" <fionat@i...>
Date:  Fri May 19, 2000  6:09 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Audition experience

> Sort of in the same vein: How do you deal with the problem of your
> accompanist blowing it right in the middle of a piece? I believe I handle
it
> professionally on stage and often it's not too noticeable. It's still
very
> upsetting. I don't blame the pianist, it happens to all of us. But, as
this
> has happened to me a number of times. I'm getting a little gun shy as a
> result

I totally understand how you feel! For a long time, I felt every
pianist I used would do something "surprising" in performance at one point
or another. I felt so insecure - i would listen to every note the pianist
played, EXPECTING mistakes (of course I am also a pianist so maybe that
makes it worse!). My temporary (and as it turns out, a good one) solution
was to work with a very good pianist - one who had played for years with a
professional opera touring ensemble, and who was highly recommended. After
a while, I realized even this wonderful pianist had many, many faults, and
played wrong notes, but by that time, we knew each other so well, it was
okay if he made a mistake - I knew he'd find me again.
I think the key is to realize all pianists will screw up (and as a
pianist myself, I know it isn't hard when you're overtired, and have been
rehearsing for 8 hours already that day) - it's just whether they can still
follow you to some degree. And eventually, if you have been working with
someone for a long time successfully, trust takes over.
It's hard though as a singer - the pianist really is part of your team,
and can help you, or hinder you.

Fiona

emusic.com