Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Sat Feb 16, 2002  11:27 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Vocalises with Words

What is the meaning of the term "vocalise"? I thought that it
referred to a melody sung without words, and included real
compositions, like the Rachmaninoff "Vocalise", as well as scales and
arpeggios done in the context of a lesson. So the discussion of
"Vocalises with Words" appears to be an oxymoron.

The definiton implicit in this thread seems to be melodic patterns
done in the context of a lesson (with or without words).

I'm interested in learning the accepted defiintion because I describe
my vocal quintet as performing my VOCALISE arrangements of
instrumental compositions, and that makes sense only if my definition
of th3e term is correct.

Thanks in advance,
John Link

http:/www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink