Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dolphin aura <dolphin_aura@y...>
Date:  Sat Feb 16, 2002  5:24 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Vocalises with Words

My voice teacher has me sing "I really love to sing"
going up the scale.
my previous voice teacher used to have me sing "bring
back the boys big brown blue baseball bats" while
singing three notes like this c-d-e and the same up
the scale
"sally saw silvester stacking silver saucers side by
side" going up the scale bye threes and then the last
note by two
c-e-d-f-e-g-f-a-g-b-a-c--b-d-c and down the opposite
way
if i remember the others i will post

--- Erica Zweig <ezweig@e...> wrote:
> Quoting Anne-Louise Klaus
>
> > Every so often I have a student who would, I
> think, be
> > happier with the warm-ups if more of the exercises
> had
> > words. Any suggestions?
> >
> Anne-Louise:
> One of my 12-year old students and I accidentally
> invented the following exercise (would you like a
> banana). Spanning a downward glide of a perfect
> fifth:
> (all spoken on the same starting note) "would you
> like
> a ba-na (then, gliding on the a and landing on the
> fifth
> lower and finishing the final syllable)-na I have
> him spit it out clearly, rapid-fire a la Gilbert and
>
> Sullivan, pronouncing banana with British-style [a].
>
> (The exercise progresses successively by half-step.)
> He
> not only finds it fun, but useful! Only
> problem--too
> much giggling can, as he discovered, "gunk up the
> voice!"
> for what it's worth: I once had a choral conductor
> in
> college who used the following warm-up exercise on a
>
> 1-3-5-8-5-3-1 scheme, with the words (don't cringe):
>
> "how shall I hit him today." For a bunch of
> college juniors, we all found it amusing. For a
> teen or
> pre-teen, I'd find a more peaceful text! Improvise.
>
> Good luck.
> --Erica

http://sports.yahoo.com

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17571 Re: Vocalises with WordsJohn Link   Sat  2/16/2002

emusic.com