Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Fri Feb 15, 2002  4:09 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Healthy belting

In a message dated 02/15/2002 9:56:39 AM Central Standard Time,
mimthurn@y... writes:

<< > Why do you think you are teaching them to fake it?
> The belt IS somewhat of
> a nasal chest mix. (Listen to Streisand.) Try
> calling a taxi like a New
> Yorker, and you will have it! :-)

Thanks, Diane! Sounds like the "correct" belting is
what I've already been teaching. That knocks one
thing off of my to do list!

I guess I (and others I know) have always called it a
"fake" belt because our impression of "real" belting
was using only chest voice in the middle range. >>

Well, that's what I was doing and when I tried it at a master class at the
first NATS belt voice workshop, I was greeted with a horrified "You're not
belting!" from the clinician, who then told me I should have picked something
like "The Rose" to start with. He then dropped the key of what I was singing
("All that jazz") by 2 steps (it was already low!) and had me say the first
line over and over, trying to find my "emotional center." No technical
instructions whatsoever. Just that. When I couldn't produce whatever it
was he was looking for, he told me "You're obviously not in touch with your
emotions. I think you should sit down."

Therefore, I do not know how to belt, I guess... not do I try to teach belt.
I can recognize it in other people and I applaud it but I can't find it in
myself and I don't want to hurt anyone by trying to impose it on them. If
there are teachers who can teach it, I encourage my students to find them.

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17541 Re: Healthy beltingbuzzcen@a...   Fri  2/15/2002
17543 Re: Healthy belting..Mezzoid's postEdgewoodVoiceStudio   Fri  2/15/2002
17562 Re: Healthy belting..Mezzoid's postdrama_diva_au   Sat  2/16/2002
17544 Re: Healthy beltingMezzoid@a...   Fri  2/15/2002
17546 Re: Healthy beltingDomisosing@a...   Fri  2/15/2002

emusic.com