Vocalist.org archive

From:  "brian" <brigo@m...>
Date:  Fri Feb 15, 2002  4:07 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Recording on a PC

Hi Jennifer.
I am not sure that there is any program that records from both the CD and
the microphone at the same time.

I would recommend that you convert the track on the CD to a .wav or midi
file. There are free programs on the web that convert all kinds of music
file formats. I have one at home that I think converts CD audio tracks to
.wav, but I don't remember the name of it. You can do a web search for MP3
or .wav.

I use Cakewalk's Home Studio 2002,
http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/HS/HS02.html
which is the "home" version of their professional music studio software. it
costs around $129 or so. It records audio tracks from a microphone. You
can insert your accompaniment track that you converted into Home Studio,
then record your singing as an audio track. You can then export both tracks
to a single file like .MP3 or .wav, or whatever.
(cakewalk may also convert CD audio tracks. I don't remember).
In Cakewalk you add reverb effects to your audio track, to give you voice
some "room", if you want.

Good luck!

>(that won't cost mega bucks)? Or is there another way
> around this? I'd rather not have to do them separately
> and try to mix them together.
Brian Shanblatt
Belz School of Jewish Music
Instructor and Coach